We’ve all been there. We raise our hand, ask a question, and everyone laughs. It’s humiliating—as much now that we’re adults as it was back in elementary school. Everyone is capable of asking a stupid question. Perhaps it’s because we aren’t thinking before speaking—or maybe we really are that ignorant. (There’s no shame in ignorance, unless we then forego the opportunity to learn better.)
Thankfully, there’s a solution. Save up all your stupid questions for today—because today is officially “Ask a Stupid Question Day.” Yup. Today we are supposed to ask stupid questions! (Although Ask a Stupid Question Day actually falls on September 28, it’s usually celebrated on the last school day of September.)
This reminds me of the story that made the news a few years ago, about the lady who asked if a “deer crossing” sign could be moved to a more convenient location… or the more recent question from a mom who wanted to know why we couldn’t hold the eclipse on a weekend instead of a school day.
“But wait,” you say. “I’ve certainly asked lots of stupid questions in my lifetime, but now that it’s okay to ask one, I can’t think of a single stupid question to ask!” I understand. I’m having that same problem. So, lest you be unable to take advantage of this much needed holiday, I have a list of sample questions to inspire you.
(Confession: I found these at various places around the internet. I’d never come up with some of these in a million years! I’ve linked each one to its source, where you’ll find even more stupid questions to enjoy.)
- “A student asked me, ‘How do islands not float away?’ I said: ‘Really big anchors.’ He wrote it down.”
- How do I unbake a cake?
- From the recent eclipse: How can i safely look at a picture of the sun? I KNOW I KNOW!! that to look at the sun can make you blind but what if i took a picture of the sun with my phone would it still ruin my eyes?
- I slept with a girl and now she’s pregnant. There’s two possible fathers though and neither of us think it’s us anyways. What if she’s really not the mom to begin with? Will it be another guy’s child? HELP!
- How do I ask a question on Yahoo Answers? (This was asked on Yahoo! Answers.)
- How do I stay somewhat healthy without eating anything?
- What does it mean when a woman says you are my life? We were talking about some things and she said yesssss. And you are my life. Any meaning to this?
- What kind of bees produce milk?
- Why do meteors always land in craters?
- If I eat myself would I become twice as big or disappear completely?
- What happens if I eat 100 hot dogs in 20 minutes?
- How far of a drive is it from Miami to Florida?
- If evolution is true then why do pigs not have wings?
- “I’ll never forget this moment. Now given this was in the eighth grade, but still… a girl asked me how to spell ‘GPS’.”
I want to believe that there are no stupid questions. It’s better to ask than remain ignorant. In fact, Ask a Stupid Question Day was initiated by school teachers who wanted to encourage students to ask their questions in class, no matter how embarrassing.
What are your “stupid” questions? Feel free to ask—you’ll find no judgment here!